Patient Access Specialist- Anderson HospitalRequisition R072748 Market Cincinnati, OH Department SS Revenue Cycle - Legacy MH Acute Shift All Schedule Full-time
Thank you for considering a career at Mercy Health
- Complete an online application.
- Complete the task to take the application assessment.
- Upon completion of your assessment, you may be sent an email with a link and instructions to complete the HireVue video interview.
- Click HERE to opt in to receive the link for the video interview via text message and speed up the interview process. Message and data rates may apply.
The Patient Access Specialist is responsible for performing admitting duties for all patients admitted for services at Mercy Health. They are responsible for performing these functions while meeting the mission and goals of Mercy Health ministry and all regulatory compliance requirements. The Patient Access Specialist will work within the policies and processes as they are being performed across the entire organization.
- Patient Access staff are responsible for assigning accurate MRNs, completing medical necessity / compliance checks, providing proper patient instructions, collecting insurance information, receiving and processing physician orders, and utilizing a overlay tool while providing excellent customer service as measured by Press Ganey. Operates the telephone switchboard to relay incoming, out-going and inter-office calls as applicable. They are to adhere to Mercy Health policies, and provide excellent customer service in these interactions with the appropriate level of compassion. Patient Access Specialists will be held accountable for point of service goals as assigned.
- Patient Access staff are responsible for the utilization of quality auditing and reporting systems to ensure accounts are corrected. These activities may include accounts for other employees, departments, and facilities. Conducts audits of accounts and assures that all forms are completed accurate, timely to meet audit standards and provides statistical data to Patient Access leadership.
- Patient Access Specialist are responsible for the pre-registration of patient accounts prior to patient visits. This may include inbound and outbound calling to obtain demographic, insurance, and other patient information including the patient financial liabilities including collecting point of service collections as well as past due balances including payment plan options.
- The Patient Access Specialist explains general consent for treatment forms to the patient/guarantor/legal guardian, obtains necessary signatures and witnesses name. Explains and distributes patient education documents, such as Important Message from Medicare, Important Message from Tricare, Observation Forms, MOON form, Consent forms, and all forms implemented for future services.
- Reviews eligibility responses in insurance verification system and appropriately selects the applicable insurance plan code, enters benefit data into system to support POS (Point of Service Collections) and billing processes to assist with a clean claim rate.
- Responsible for accurately screening of medical necessity using the Advanced Beneficiary Notice (ABN) software to inform Medicare patients of possible non-payment of test by Medicare and distribution of the ABN as appropriate. Responsible for distribution and documentation of other designated forms and pamphlets.
- Perform all other duties as assigned including answering the phones at applicable facilities
Minimum Years and Type of Experience: 1-2 years of experience preferred
Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred: Understanding of Revenue Cycle including admission, billing, payments and denials. Comprehensive knowledge of patient insurance process for obtaining authorizations and benefits verification. Knowledge of Health Insurance requirements. Knowledge of medical terminology or CPT or procedure codes.
Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required: Patient Access experience highly preferred. Typing speed of 45 words per minute required if applicable.
Required Minimum Education: High School Diploma/ GED
Preferred Education: 2 year associates degree
Mercy Health is an equal opportunity employer.
We’ll also reward your hard work with:
- Comprehensive, affordable medical, dental and vision plans
- Prescription drug coverage
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life insurance w/AD&D
- An employer-matched 403(b) for those who qualify.
- Paid time off
- Educational Assistance
- And much more
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Department:SS Revenue Cycle - Legacy MH Acute
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, or protected veteran status, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. If you’d like to view a copy of the affirmative action plan or policy statement for Mercy Health – Youngstown, Ohio or Bon Secours – Franklin, Virginia; Petersburg, Virginia; and Emporia, Virginia, which are Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, please email email@example.com. If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact The Talent Acquisition Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
In some instances, the nurse’s voice and touch is the last thing a patient will hear or feel. This is part of our calling as nurses, to be there for our patients in all stages of life, from the beginning to the very end.Ali L. Registered Nurse