Sr Patient Access Specialist- Mercy Anderson HospitalRequisition R029718 Market Cincinnati, OH Department SS Revenue Cycle - Administration Shift All Schedule Full-time
Thank you for considering a career at Mercy Health
The Senior Patient Access specialist is responsible for performing admitting duties for all patients receiving services at Mercy Health. As a Senior Patient Access Specialist, additional duties can include training, scheduling and other leadership responsibilities. They are responsible for performing these functions while meeting the mission and goals of Mercy Health ministry and all regulatory compliance requirements. The Senior Patient Access Specialist will work within the policies and process that are being performed across the entire organization.
- Patient Access staff are responsible for assigned accurate MRNs, completing medial necessity or compliance checks, providing proper patient instructions, collecting insurance information, receiving and processing physical order while utilizing an overlay tool and providing excellent customer service as measure by Press Ganey. They will serve as the SMART for the department. They are to adhere to Mercy Health Policies and provide excellent customer service in these interactions with the appropriate level of compassion. Operates the telephone switch board to relay incoming out going and inter-office calls as applicable
- Patient Access staff are responsible for the utilization of quality audition and reporting systems to ensure accounts are corrected. These activities may include accounts for other employees, department, and facilities
- A Senior Patient Access Specialist is responsible for the develop of staff schedules within the patient access department
- A Senior Patient Access Specialist will have on call responsibilities for the department, including providing after-hours support and leadership. As part of on call responsibilities, the Senior Patient Access Specialist may be responsible to come in to work at unscheduled times to cover staffing issues.
- Senior Patient Access specialist are responsible for the collection of point of service payments. These activities may be conducted in emergency, outpatient and inpatient situations including past due balances and offer payment plan options. The Patient Access Specialist is expected to adhere to Mercy Health polices and provide excellent customer services in these interactions. Conducts audits of accounts and assures that all forms are completed accurate, timely to meet audit standards and provides statistical data to patient Access leadership. Sr. Patient Access Specialists will be held accountable for point of service goals as assigned.
- Explains general consent for treatment forms to the patient/guarantor/legal guardian, obtains necessary signatures and witnesses name. Explains and distributes patient education documents, such as Important Message from Medicare, Observation Forms, Consent forms and all forms implemented for future services.
- Reviews eligibility responses in insurance verification system and appropriately selects the applicable insurance plan code, enters benefit data into system to support POS (Point of Service Collections) and billing processes to assist with a clean claim rate including pre -registration of patient account prior to the patient visit which may include inbound out outbound calls to obtain demographic information, insurance information and all other patient information.
- Responsible for accurately screening of medical necessity using the Advanced Beneficiary Notice (ABN) software to inform Medicare patients of possible non-payment of test by Medicare and distribution of the ABN as appropriate. Responsible for distribution and documentation of other designated forms and pamphlets.
- Perform other assigned duties as assigned.
Required Minimum Education: High School Diploma or GED
Preferred Education: 2 year/Associates Degree - Specialty/Major: Healthcare administration, business administration, or related field.
Combination of post-secondary education and experience will be considered in lieu of degree.
Required: Certified Health Care Access Associate (CHAA)
Preferred: CRCR, Certified Revenue Cycle Representative
Minimum Years and type of Experience: 2-3 years of experience in patient access or leadership role
Other Knowledge, skills and Abilities:
Understanding or Revenue Cycle including admission, billing, payments and denials.
Comprehensive Knowledge of patient insurance process for obtaining authorization and benefits verification. Knowledge of Health insurance requirements. Knowledge of medical terminology or CPT or procedure codes.
Mercy Health is an equal opportunity employer.
We’ll also reward your hard work with:
- Comprehensive, affordable medical, dental and vision plans
- Prescription drug coverage
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life insurance w/AD&D
- An employer-matched 403(b) for those who qualify.
- Paid time off
- Educational Assistance
- And much more
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Department:SS Revenue Cycle - Administration
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, or protected veteran status, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. If you’d like to view a copy of the affirmative action plan or policy statement for Mercy Health – Youngstown, Ohio or Bon Secours – Ashland, Kentucky, which is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, please email email@example.com. If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact The Talent Acquisition Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Nursing is one of the most trusted professions in the world, and it’s because of who we are and how we care about patients.Amanda M. CRNP